The updated Toyota LandCruiser 70 Series range gets advanced safety technology – but is $1600 more expensive than before, has been reclassified as a light truck to avoid costly structural upgrades, and order books remain closed.
- 2023 Toyota LandCruiser 70 Series Prices and Specs
- The vehicle’s total mass has been increased to bypass new safety regulations
- Added autonomous emergency braking
- Starting at $69,000 plus road costs
That 2023 Toyota LandCruiser 70 Series workhorse received a $1,600 price increase to reflect the addition of advanced safety technology – and its reclassification as a light truck to circumvent new crash safety regulations.
All LandCruiser 70-Series models face price increases of $1,600, according to a third-party price guide distributed to media this week, which takes into account new autonomous emergency braking technology (with pedestrian and cyclist detection).
The gross vehicle weight (GVM) of all variants has increased to 3510 kg – which was first reported by journeyAllows the 70 Series to be classified as a ‘Medium Duty Commercial Vehicle’ (light truck) and exempted from key side impact safety regulations now in force in Australia.
These rules (known as ADR 85) only apply to “light” commercial vehicles with a GVW of less than 3500kg – allowing Toyota to increase the vehicle’s GVW to bypass costly technical upgrades to improve the LandCruiser’s crash protection .
For more details on the safety regulations and Toyota’s decision, click here to read them Moves original story. Click here for a deeper dive into vehicle tares, GVMs and payloads.
It’s unclear if there have been any suspension or braking upgrades to accompany the vehicle’s revised GVWs.
Aside from the addition of Autonomous Emergency Braking, standard equipment is expected to remain unchanged across the range – a full list (adapted to 2022 models) is included at the end of this story.
Entry-level GX variants come with 16-inch steel wheels, a 6.1-inch touchscreen with satellite navigation, black bumpers and mirrors, two or four speakers, and either two airbags in wagon, troop carrier and double-cab chassis or five airbags in single-cab chassis Chassis.
All models are equipped with a 4.5 liter V8 diesel engine with 151 kW/430 Nm that drives all four wheels via a manual five-speed gearbox.
Moves Estimates in October suggested at least 10,000 were queuing for a 70-series LandCruiser – and Toyota Australia sales and marketing chief Sean Hanley told the media in October it will be a few months before orders reopen can become.
“We are making every effort to increase our production capacity with this car. It is quite unique in our country and we aim to meet that demand,” said Mr Hanley.
“We have a sizable order bank (but) we have another year before we clear it… we need to prioritize these customers, hence the reason we took the action we have.”
2023 Toyota LandCruiser 70 Series Australian Prices
- LandCruiser WorkMate Cart – $69,000 (up $1,600)
- LandCruiser WorkMate Single Cab Chassis – $70,550 (up $1600)
- LandCruiser WorkMate Troop Carrier – $72,950 (up $1600)
- LandCruiser WorkMate Double Cab Chassis – $73,100 (up $1600)
- LandCruiser GX Single Cabin Chassis – $72,550 (up $1600)
- LandCruiser GXL Wagon – $73,100 (up $1600)
- LandCruiser GXL Single Cabin Chassis – $74,650 (up $1600)
- LandCruiser GXL Troop Carrier – $76,150 (up $1600)
- LandCruiser GXL Double Cab Chassis – $77,200 (up $1600)
Note: All prices above are exclusive of road charges.
The following features are based on the 2022 model range, plus Autonomous Emergency Braking (new for 2023). Drive will update this story when another spec list is available.
2023 Toyota LandCruiser WorkMate Standard Features:
- Autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian and cyclist detection (new)
- 16 inch steel rims
- Front bumper, grille and side mirrors black
- 6.1-inch infotainment touchscreen with satellite navigation
- 12 volt socket and two USB ports
- Sound system with two speakers (single cab, double cab and troop carrier only)
- Four-speaker sound system (wagon only)
- Tilt and telescopically adjustable steering column
- cruise control
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS)
- traction control
- Running boards made of steel or aluminum (depending on the type of body)
- All-weather floor mats
- Textured vinyl seat cover
- Intermittent wipers (only station wagon)
- Two front airbags
- Side curtain and driver’s knee airbags (single cab only)
2023 Toyota LandCruiser GX Single Cab adds (via Workmate):
- 16 inch alloy wheels
- Extensions over the fenders
- Wide front fenders
2023 Toyota LandCruiser GXL adds (via GX):
- 16″ alloy wheels for crew cabs and coach bodies (Troop Carrier retains steel wheels)
- Fender flares and wide front fenders for all models
- Chrome and painted front bumper
- Chromed and painted rear bumper (wagon and troop carrier)
- Fog lights (on all bodies except single cab)
- Aluminum steps (now on all models)
- Electric windows
- Central locking with key fob
- Variable interval wiper (now on all models)
- Differential locks front and rear
- Carpet (replaces vinyl)
- Fabric seat cover
- multifunction watch
- 2023 Toyota LandCruiser 70 Series increases GVM and keeps V8 for now
- Toyota Australia is increasing prices by up to $3800
- Ford Ranger tops the list
- Orders for Toyota LandCruiser 70 Series remain on hold indefinitely
- 2023 LDV G90 people mover for Australia with petrol, diesel and electric powertrains